57th Annual Genii Awards to be held Thursday, May 5th During Digital Hollywood at the Skirball Cultural Center
Los Angeles – May 3, 2016 – Alliance for Women in Media Southern California Foundation (AWM SoCal), a nonprofit organization helping to empower and fuel professional development of women in media, today announced that actor and Founder of Cancer Schmancer Fran Drescher, Emmy® Award-winning journalist and TV host Shaun Robinson and Theranos Chief Creative Officer Patrick Thomas O’Neill have been added as presenters for the 57th Annual Genii Awards.
The Awards Ceremony will be co-hosted by Erica Olsen, Emmy®-nominated on-air host for CBS2/KCAL9 and comedian Matt Iseman, host for American Ninja Warrior on Thursday, May 5th as part of Digital Hollywood at the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles. The gala recognizes the best of the best in media and entertainment and is a fundraiser for the AWM SoCal Foundation and its student scholarship program.
Fran Drescher, actor and Founder of Cancer Schmancer will present the Excellence in New Media Award to Lisa Meier, Group Vice President at
Time Warner Cable Media Sales. Drescher is a two-time Golden Globe, Emmy®nominee, best known for her role as “Miss Fine” on The Nanny, a show that she created and executive produced. A 15-year cancer survivor, Drescher founded the Cancer Schmancer Movement, a health organization that focuses on early detection, prevention, and policy change.
"Lisa Meier is a powerhouse and a trailblazer for women in media," stated Fran Drescher. "It will be my privilege to present her with the Excellence in New Media Award at the Genii Gala."
Emmy Award-winning Journalist and TV Host, Shaun Robinson, will present the Excellence in Entertainment Award to Extra TV co-hosts and award-winning producer Tracey Edmonds and Charissa Thompson at the gala event. As a television personality, author, actress, producer, entrepreneur, philanthropist, Robinson has won the respect and admiration of millions of daily viewers throughout her career, including her work as co-host of the entertainment news show, Access Hollywood.
"It's truly an honor to present Charissa and Tracey with the Excellence in Entertainment Award at the Geniis," said Shaun Robinson. "These lovely ladies are women of excellence and it's gratifying to take a moment to celebrate their success among friends and peers."
Chief Creative Officer for Theranos, Patrick O’Neill, will present the Excellence in Advertising Award to Xanthe Wells, former Chief Creative Officer for Pitch Agency.
“We are grateful to have the leadership and support of Fran Drescher, Shaun Robinson and Patrick O’Neill at this year’s Genii Awards,” said AWM SoCal president Samantha Brown. “We look forward to a wonderful evening of celebration with all of our honorees and presenters.”
57th Annual Genii Awards Hosts, Honorees and Presenters:
Genii Awards Co-hosts
- Erica Olsen, On-air for CBS2/KCAL9
- Matt Iseman, Former doctor turned comedian, Matt Iseman currently hosts American Ninja Warrior and will be seen this fall on Celebrity Apprentice.
Excellence in Documentary Award
Film Competition Awards
- Award Presentation by: Josh Welsh, President, Film Independent (which produces the Spirit Awards, LA Film Festival, Film Independent at LACMA and Project Involve)
Excellence in Entertainment Award
- Award Presentation by: Shaun Robinson, Emmy Award-winning journalist, TV host, author, producer, philanthropist including a special congratulations video from Mario Lopez
- Honorees: Tracey Edmonds and Charissa Thompson, Co-hosts, Extra TV
Excellence in Journalism Award
- Award Presentation by: Darnell J. Cates, Youth ambassador for the Freddie Mac Foundation Wednesday's Child program
- Honoree: Christine Devine, News Anchor at Fox KTTV
Excellence in Radio Award
- Award Presentation by: Anne Sweeney, Netflix Board Member and former President of Disney ABC Television Networks
- Honoree: Maggie Bellville, Vice President, Hitachi Consulting and member of the U.S. Communications, Media & Entertainment Industry executive team
Excellence in New Media Award
- Award Presentation by: Fran Drescher, Actor, Founder of Cancer Schmancer, Health Advocate, Activist
- Honoree: Lisa Meier, Group Vice President, Time Warner Cable Media Sales, West Region
Excellence in Advertising Award
- Awards Presentation by: Fran Zone, Founder of Zone Communication and the creator of The Zone Method™
Rising Star Award
Excellence in Management Award
- Award Presentation by: Donna Thomas, Senior Vice President of Sales, VUBIQUITY
- Honoree: Sherry Brennan, Senior Vice President, Distribution Strategy & Development, Fox Networks
The Genii Awards acknowledge the notable achievements of excellence in media and entertainment and is generously sponsored by Hitachi Consulting, Fox Networks, SAG-AFTRA and VUBIQUITY. Media sponsors include Digital Hollywood and Multichannel News. Product sponsors include 240sweet, Athleta, Dr. Kourosh Maddahi DDS & Oral Essentials Inc, evian Natural Spring Water, KIND Snacks, KLARETY, Markwins Beauty - wet n wild, nodpod, PizzaRev, Rick Steves' Europe, Inc., The Coffee Bean.
Silent Auction supporters include: Adorkbale Apparel, Arbonne, Athleta Private Party/VIP Experience, Black Chateau Publishing, Candles by Dave, Catalina Film Festival, Cinedigm Movie Basket, CorePower Yoga, Daisy Rock Girl Guitars, DC Comics Wonder Woman Collection Package, Dr. Kourosh Maddahi DDS & Oral Essentials Inc, Evolue Beauty, Film Independent, Long Beach Bayou Festival, Marine Discovery Tours, Maui Jim Sunglasses, Nakeah Cosmetics of Hollywood, Naven, Ojai Film Festival, Pacific Palisades Woman’s Club, Personal Training by Denise, R6S, the Premiere Digital Media Agency, Rick Steves' Europe, Inc. , Six Flags Magic Mountain, Sprinkles Cupcakes, Tannenbaum Chiropractic, The Grove Date Night/Shopping Package, The Living Desert Zoo & Gardens, Utah Office of Tourism & Utah Film Commission Gift Package, Utah Shakespeare Festival, Vicki Abelson - Women Who Write, Wingspan Cyclery bike shop, Yoga Blend, Young Americans
Proceeds from the event support the AWM SoCal Foundation and its Student Scholarship Fund. For tickets visit awmsocalfoundation.org/tickets.
For more information about Alliance for Women in Media Southern California, visit awmsocal.org.
# # # #
To download photos and bios.
For more information, please contact:
Bob Gold & Associates
Kim Spence Dickey